Posted on

Best areas to invest for student HMOs

Property investors often find that they can achieve a higher rental yield with student accommodation than they can with a standard buy-to-let.

Of course, this isn’t always the case, and the success of a student let depends on a variety of factors including the type of property, the size of the property, and most importantly, the area that the accommodation is located in.

In this article, we will find out a little more about where the most profitable areas in the UK are for investing in student HMOs.

Factors to consider when choosing where to invest in student property

If you want to get the best returns on your investment you should think carefully about the best area in which to invest in a student HMO.

Of course, you’ll want to choose a university town or city. You’ll then need to research which areas within the city are student hotspots and what the reputation of each area is like.

Students usually live in inner city areas, preferably within walking distance of most places they need to get to, or somewhere with excellent transport links.

Most students want to live within walking distance of the university campus, local amenities, and nightlife.

It’s also a good idea to look to the future and research up-and-coming universities and student hotspots where demand could be set to grow.

For example, Bolton is a relatively small university town and house prices in the area are low, but Bolton university is one of the fastest-growing higher education institutions in the UK and it is targeted to double its student population over the coming years.

Which are the best areas of the UK to invest in student property?

It is generally agreed that when investing in any type of buy-to-let, higher rental yields can usually be achieved on properties located in the North of England because of how much cheaper property is to invest in up north.

Property Wire recently published an article about research that was carried out by Paragon Bank into the top 10 locations in the UK for investing in student property based on the areas where investors generate the highest rental yields.

The research found that the top 10 locations are:

  1. Swansea

Average property price: £194,758

Rental yield: 9.56%

  • Hull

Average property price: £119,538

Rental yield: 8.60%

  • Plymouth

Average property price: £267,287

Rental yield: 8.41%

  • Liverpool

Average property price: £225,178

Rental yield: 8.25%

  • Coventry

Average property price: £290,685

Rental yield: 7.91%

  • Chester

Average property price: £281,796

Rental yield: 7.88%

  • Stoke

Average property price: £119,773

Rental yield: 8.21%

  • Lincoln

Average property price: £217,615

Rental yield: 7.82%

  • Preston

Average property price: £252,850

Rental yield: 8.01%

  1. Leeds

Average property price: £250,009

Rental yield: 7.62%

Interestingly, as well as the majority of the areas being in the North of the country, most of them are also within smaller university towns and cities. Most of the areas listed are home to just one university and have smaller student populations than you would find in major cities.

However, one major city with multiple universities which consistently appears in lists of the top areas for investing in student property is Liverpool.

Some reasons why these smaller university towns and cities are outperforming major cities include because there is less property available in the area, property prices are lower, and there is less competition between investors. All these points could help to drive up the rental yield that can be achieved on the property.

Are student HMOs a good investment?

Student Haus is part of the Mistoria Group, and we are a team of letting agents that specialise in HMO student property letting and management in the North West of England, particularly in popular university towns and cities like Liverpool, Manchester, and Salford.

We have found that investor enquiries for student accommodation in Liverpool, Salford and Bolton have surged over the last six months, up 21 per cent from UK and international investors.

More and more investors are now investing in student HMOs and profiting from higher rental yields as a result.

Mish Liyanage, managing director of the Mistoria Group, explains: “Without doubt, investors achieve considerably higher yields with property let to students, compared to those let to non-students in the same town or city. 

“For example, student landlords in Liverpool made an average gross rental yield of 13 per cent in the third quarter of 2021, compared to nine per cent for those who did not let to students. Student property can either be similar to a normal buy-to-let, where the whole property is rented between friends who co-habit or a student HMO where students rent each room individually on their own tenancy agreement. A property is deemed an HMO if at least three tenants live there, forming one household and sharing bathroom or kitchen facilities. 

“Investors can currently acquire a four-bed HMO for students and professionals, fully refurbished and furnished and tenanted for the coming year, for less than £175,000 in Liverpool.

“Investing in student HMO accommodation offers a long-term  option, as the property is highly likely to be in constant demand throughout the calendar year.”

Demand for student properties to rent in the UK only looks set to grow as the country remains a very popular location to study with overseas students. According to UCAS, applications from international students are expected to increase by almost 26 per cent by 2026.

Here at Student Haus, our team of specialist letting agents works with property investors across the North West of England including Salford, Liverpool, & Bolton.

We offer a range of services for student landlords including a let-only service and a fully managed service.

If you require help or advice with investing in a student HMO, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team of specialists by calling us on 0161 694 6427.

Posted on

A guide to student tenancy agreements as a landlord

As a student landlord, one of the best things you can do to provide yourself with financial and legal protection is to take your time creating appropriate tenancy agreements for your student lets.

A student tenancy agreement is a legal contract between you and your tenants. It should set out the terms of the tenancy, making the rights and responsibilities of you, the landlord, and your tenants, clear from the start.

A comprehensive and suitable tenancy agreement is essential to a successful student let.

In this article, we will explain more about the different types of student tenancy agreements and how to create one for your rented student accommodation.

What are the different types of student contracts available?

There are a couple of different types of student tenancy contracts to choose from. The most appropriate one for you depends on the property type, and your tenant’s circumstances.

Your standard student tenancy agreement is almost always an assured shorthold tenancy (AST) agreement.

The two main types of student contracts are individual contracts and joint tenancy agreements.

Individual tenancy agreements

With an individual tenancy agreement, the tenant named on the contract is liable solely for their own payments, deposit, and actions. This type of contract should be used if your student property is an HMO.

Joint tenancy agreements

Joint tenancy agreements start and end on the same date and mean that all tenants within a house share joint liability for the property and payments. Joint agreements can sometimes offer landlords better protection because it means that if one tenant stops paying their rent, the others are responsible for finding the money due.

How do student tenancy agreements work?

Most student tenancy agreements are fixed-term, assured shorthold tenancies.

If a contract is ‘fixed-term’ it means that the landlord and tenant have agreed that the tenancy will last for a set period. For students, this is usually 12 months. During that time, the tenant cannot be asked to leave the property unless the terms of the agreement have been broken.

Assured shorthold tenancies give the tenants exclusive possession of the property. This means the landlord should not visit the property unless they have given the tenants at least 24 hours’ notice that they plan to do so.

Student tenants with a fixed-term assured shorthold tenancy cannot be evicted unless their landlord can prove to the court that they have a legal reason to do so. If the landlord believes that they have a legal reason to evict a tenant, then they must first serve them notice of possession. However, if you include a break clause in the contract, you can still end a tenancy early if you wish, providing you stick to the terms of the break clause, (more on those later).

When creating a student contract for the first time it’s best to use a template or consult a specialist in student property letting, to ensure that your tenancy agreement covers all bases.

At a minimum, your contract should include legal terms and conditions surrounding the start and end date of the contract, rental costs, how and when payments should be made, the security deposit, and who is responsible for paying the bills.

If you require help with your student tenancy agreement, get in touch with our team of specialist student letting agents here at Student Haus and we’ll be happy to help. Our professional let-only and fully managed landlord services are popular with student landlords throughout the North West, including those based in popular university cities like Liverpool, Manchester, and Salford.

Which rental contract should you choose?

The type of tenancy agreement that you choose, is down to the property type you have and your preference, there are pros and cons of both joint and sole tenancy agreements. If your student property is an HMO then you should provide each tenant with their own individual tenancy agreement.

Many landlords swear by joint tenancy agreements because they feel they offer them better financial protection. By making all tenants jointly responsible for the property and payments, if one tenant stops paying rent it is the whole group that is responsible for the costs. If one tenant wishes to leave a joint tenancy, then the remaining tenants are responsible for finding a replacement tenant or sharing out the additional cost between them.

On the other hand, some landlords find that individual tenancies are more profitable because they can charge more per room. Not only that, if tenants wish to start and end their contracts on different dates, then sole tenancy agreements allow them to do so. This allows landlords to provide tenants with greater flexibility but can also be more complicated to manage.

What should I know about break clauses in my student tenancy agreement?

Whether or not you include a break clause in the contract is up to you; there are advantages and disadvantages to doing so.

A break clause gives both landlord and tenant the option to give notice and end a tenancy early if necessary. Usually, the break clause specifies a date after which the tenancy can be ended.

Break clauses can be useful as they give landlord and tenant flexibility but bear in mind that some tenants may view them as a less secure option and be put off. Equally, if your tenants choose to activate the break clause, you may lose revenue if you cannot fill the room and it is left empty for a while.

If you do choose to include a break clause, you should specify when the break clause can be used, how much notice should be given when using it, and how notice should be served.

For further help or advice with renting to students, get in touch with our team of specialist student letting agents here at Student Haus, we have helped countless student landlords throughout Liverpool, Bolton, Manchester, Salford, and the North West to operate highly profitable and stress-free student lets.

Get in touch by calling us on 0161 694 6427 or emailing

Posted on

Tenant rights every student should know

Moving into student digs for the first time can feel exciting and terrifying in equal measure.

As well as doing all your own cooking and cleaning, you’ll also need to handle it if something goes wrong with the property that you’re living in.

This may involve communicating with your landlord and making sure that you are well-informed about your rights as a tenant.

In this article, we identify five of the most important tenancy rights every student should know about.

Your landlord must provide you with notice before they visit

It’s every student’s worst nightmare.

You’ve hosted a party the night before and now you’re in your pyjamas eating leftover pizza while cramming for tomorrow’s exam when there’s a sharp rap on the door… it’s your landlord.

The good news is that, legally, you shouldn’t have to deal with this scenario unless the property is on fire, or there is some similar emergency, at which time you’d probably be relieved for a bit of help.

Your landlord should always give you notice of at least 24 hours if they are going to be visiting the property, providing you with a bit of time to tidy up!

Gas and electrical safety

It is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure that your student property is safe and free from hazards. This includes ensuring that all gas appliances and electrical equipment have been professionally checked and approved as safe.

Gas appliances should be serviced annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer and a copy of the gas safety certificate should be provided to you when you first move into the accommodation. The electrics in the property should be inspected once every five years.


No student should ever have to worry about being wrongfully evicted. If you are paying your rent and behaving yourself then your landlord cannot legally ask you to leave.

Student landlords can only legally evict you for one of the following reasons:

  • You’re at least two months late paying your rent
  • You are breaching the terms of your student tenancy agreement
  • You are using the property for illegal purposes
  • You are being a serious nuisance to neighbours
  • You have let the property fall into an unacceptable state

Tenancy Deposit Protection (TDP) scheme

When your landlord takes your student tenancy deposit, they are legally obliged to put it into a government-approved Tenancy Deposit Protection scheme.

Your deposit should be put into a TDP scheme within 30 days of you handing it over to your landlord and they should provide you with information about which scheme it is in.

Repairs to the property      

While you can’t be calling your landlord in to change the lightbulb, they are required to arrange for any major repairs required as quickly as possible.

This includes repairs to the property’s structure, pipes, wiring, heating and hot water, and bathroom fixtures.

If you cause any damage to the property or its contents, accidentally or otherwise, then you may be required to arrange for this to be fixed yourself.

Here at Student Haus, our team of letting agents helps students across the North West find student lets from reliable student landlords in popular university cities including Bolton, Salford, and Liverpool.

For further help finding student accommodation or advice surrounding tenant rights, give our team a call on 0161 694 6427.

Posted on

Most common student accommodation problems and how to deal with them

student lets salford

No matter the size and shape of your student digs, your landlord is required by law to ensure they are safe and comfortable to live in.

You’ve probably heard a fair few horror stories about student accommodation, but providing you are renting from a reputable letting agent or student landlord, you should be able to resolve any problems you encounter within a reasonable timeframe.

In this article, we find out more about the most common student accommodation problems and how best to deal with them.

Conflicts with housemates

Living with other students isn’t always plain sailing, especially if you’re not all on the same page.

From stealing food to all-night partying, you may not find out until after you’ve moved in that some of your housemates have annoying or anti-social habits.

It can be beneficial to sit down as a household and set boundaries, expectations, and cleaning rotas together when you first move in. Remember, you’ve got to live with these people, so try to stay calm and keep communication open and respectful.

If one of your housemates is breaching the terms of the tenancy agreement and cannot be reasoned with, then your student landlord or letting agent may be able to intervene.

Damp and mould

Damp and mould can be caused by a variety of structural problems including poor ventilation, condensation, leaks, or a defective damp course.

As well as being unsightly, damp patches and mould can also be hazardous to health and cause damage to personal belongings.

There are several steps you can take while living in student accommodation to minimise the amount of moisture in the air and help to prevent damp problems, these include:

  • Opening windows to allow air to circulate
  • Setting heating to a regular low temperature
  • Avoiding hanging wet washing around the house
  • Using extractor fans
  • Keeping the bathroom door shut and opening the window when showering
  • Keeping doors to the kitchen shut and opening the window when cooking

If you are still having problems with damp or mould, or if you don’t think the problem is being caused by condensation, then you should contact your student landlord.

Your landlord is required by law to carry out repairs to fix damp problems if they are being caused by structural problems or inadequacies.


Moving into accommodation that is infested with bugs or rodents is every student’s worst nightmare.

Any kind of pest infestation is unhygienic and could pose a risk to human health, so should be reported to the student letting agent and landlord as soon as possible. It is your landlord’s responsibility to make sure your student accommodation is safe to live in

Students can help to prevent attracting pests to the property by keeping it hygienic, clean, and tidy, and by avoiding leaving food or rubbish out.


Damage to fixtures, fittings, and furniture in your property can be inconvenient, but more serious damage to a property’s heating, water supply, or structure could negatively impact your comfort, health, and wellbeing.

If anything becomes damaged or broken while you’re living in student accommodation you should report it to your letting agent or student landlord as soon as possible.

Regulations laid out in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 state that it is the landlord who is responsible for organising any repairs to the building’s structure, fixtures, and fittings.

Noisy neighbours

Noisy neighbours are enough to cause anyone a headache, especially if your bedroom is reverberating from next door’s bass all night long the day before your final exam.

Usually, a knock on the door and a calm and respectful conversation is all that is required to get the noise shut down.

However, if the door is shut in your face or you find yourself up against someone unreasonable or unpleasant then you can find more help and advice on the government website about resolving neighbour disputes.


If your accommodation payments are not all-inclusive of bills and unlimited broadband, then you may find budgeting more challenging in today’s economic climate.

The current cost-of-living crisis means bills are constantly rising, putting students at risk of under budgeting for essentials like gas and electric.

If you can, you should always over-budget for bills so that you’re not left short if costs rise.

Be sure to check if you are entitled to any help with paying your energy bills from the government.

You may be able to claim a non-repayable £400 discount under The Energy Bills Support Scheme.

Renting accommodation from a student letting agent like Student Haus serving Salford, Liverpool & Bolton  offers a tenancy agreement that is all-inclusive of bills and broadband can provide students with better financial security.

Posted on

3 Benefits of using a Student (HMO) Letting Agent

  1. Letting Agents help landlords to stay compliant

    Unless the individual is a full-time landlord or works in the property industry for a living, chances are the landlord will be busy with their day job, family, hobbies and other things. Letting Agents work in property day in and day out and stay on top of changing industry laws, tax and other regulations which in turn will better help the landlord stay compliant which is especially important when it comes to the letting and management of a HMO or student accommodation.

  2. Letting Agents provide landlords a professional set up

    Being a landlord is equal to running a (small) business. You provide a product (the property) as well as a service (the ongoing management of the property). To get the most from a student property investment the landlord should therefore approach it in a business-like manner. This includes but is not limited to reliable and speedy communication with your tenants, fast organisation of maintenance and repairs, timely deposit returns, professional arrears chasing and debt repayment negotiation, receipting rent and administering invoices for year-end tax reports and other business-like processes. These are all processes and procedures a student letting agent can provide to student landlords in a professional manner.

  3. Letting Agents provide an objective and professional buffer between the landlord and the tenants

    Disputes can arise between landlords and tenants and it is definitely helpful to have a 3rd party involved to manage the situation. It can be equally beneficial to have a Letting Agent involved if things are going well between tenant and landlord to ensure the relationship stays professional and neither side slacks off when it comes to their responsibility to pay rent on time or get maintenance organised efficiently.  Student Haus is one of the leading student letting agencies, serving Salford, Liverpool, Manchester, Bolton, and Stockport. If you’re a landlord or student and need help with your property needs feel free to contact our team via and we’ll be happy to help!

Posted on

Letting To Students: Dispelling the Myths

student housing north west

Many landlords often worry about letting out their properties to students, fearing that they will not receive rental payments, or that their houses will be destroyed during wild parties. However, issues like these are exceptionally rare. We thought we’d dispel some of the popular myths about renting to students in this blog post.

Damage to the Property

A landlord’s worst nightmare is undoubtedly that their property will be destroyed by a particularly wild student party. However, with the rising cost of living, students are increasingly opting to drink and party less, with some studies suggesting that 30% of the student population does not drink at all. With less spare money, students are also more conscious of the need to care for their house to protect their deposit. 

A recent survey by student utility supplier Glide also recently showed that 82% of students would rather stay in to binge watch TV and films than go out to party. Therefore, the chance of a landlord’s property being ruined is now much reduced. 

Payment Problems 

The typical image that society has of a student is of one surviving off pasta because they’ve spent all their money on alcohol. That, alongside the fact that this is the first time many will have had payment responsibilities before, leaves landlords worried that their student tenants will not have enough money to pay their rent. However, such issues are actually relatively rare in student properties, because tenants receive student loan payments termly. Furthermore, if students do miss their rent payments, they are almost always backed by strong guarantors – their parents. 

Noise Complaints

Students are typically known for playing loud music and screaming and shouting late into the night. But as they reduce their alcohol intake and opt to stay in for film nights with friends, landlords should actually see a reduction in the number of noise complaints they receive from neighbours. 

Finding the Perfect Tenants   

One of the best ways to look after your property is to engage with your tenants. If they feel like you are listening to their queries and worries, they are more likely to trust you and therefore respect both you and your property. Having a good relationship with their landlord is one of the key things students look for when renting a home. 

Still Have Concerns?

If you are worried about letting your property to students, come and speak to the experts in student housing North West based Student Haus. 

Posted on

Dealing With Damp and Condensation in Your Property

salford student letting agents
The days are getting shorter, the leaves are falling from the trees and there’s a noticeable chill in the air. That must mean it’s Autumn! It also means it’s time to start thinking about ways to prevent damp and condensation in your property.


The most common cause of damp in a property is the build-up of condensation. It should be made clear to your tenants that it is their responsibility to prevent condensation in the property. Once you have installed extractor fans in bathrooms, stress that tenants should switch these on every time they shower or take a bath. It might be worth investing in an extractor fan that switches on automatically in time with the bathroom light. That way, you won’t have to rely on your tenants remembering to do so. Extractor fans should also be fitted in the kitchen above the hob. Boiling water causes lots of steam to be produced, which will settle on the walls and windows if not removed.

Advise your tenants to open their windows regularly, especially in the kitchen and bathroom. During the colder months, they may be reluctant to do so, but windows need only be open for ten minutes a day for a noticeable difference in the levels of condensation build-up. Remind them that they need to close and lock all of their windows before leaving their house each day.

Tell your tenants not to put wet clothing on radiators. The water vapour mixing with the hot air will rise and settle on walls and windows. You may wish to fit a clothes line to encourage your tenants to dry their clothes outside.

Rising Damp

Rising damp occurs when groundwater seeps through the bricks and mortar of a building because its damp course has failed. It is your responsibility as a landlord to make the building watertight again by fitting a new damp course. The cost should not be passed on to your tenants. You should ask a professional for their advice; rising damp is often misdiagnosed and fitting a new damp course could end up being a needless expense.

Penetrating Damp

Penetrating damp occurs when water enters a building via an external wall or the roof and settles inside. This will invariably be because of a fault within the building, such as holes in the roof, damaged gutters, or cracks in the external render. Again, it is your responsibility to ensure that these issues are remedied and that the house is fit for habitation. Fixing penetrating damp is usually a simple process. Make a note of anywhere that the damp appears and find that point on the exterior of your property. Around this area you should be able to quickly find the fault and fix it yourself with some simple DIY. For serious problems, consult an experienced surveyor. A check of the whole building may be required to ensure the damp has not become wet rot, which would be disastrous for the structural integrity of your property.

Resolving Damp Issues

Salford student letting agents, Student Haus have a dedicated maintenance team on hand to resolve any property issues for our landlords and tenants. Contact us now to find out how we can help you.

Posted on

How to avoid deposit disputes

What to do at the start and end of a tenancy to avoid a deposit dispute

Less than 1% of all tenancy deposits end in dispute, but when it does happen it can end up being an expensive nightmare for all parties involved.

Many potential disputes can be avoided and one of the quickest ways to make sure conflicts don’t happen is to ensure all the correct information is provided to everyone at the right times.

Keeping audit trails of any changes made to the property, both by the landlord and tenant, can drastically improve the chances of a dispute being sorted quickly and reduce the chance of any acrimonious feelings between those involved.

This needs to happen from day one until the last day of the tenancy. Make sure the new tenant knows what is expected straight away. By doing this it will help them as much as it will help you.

Here’s what needs to be done right at the start and right at the end of a tenancy:

When the new tenant checks in

Having a detailed as possible report about the condition of the property is important. This goes further than a full inventory and cleanliness. Make notes of the last time it was professionally cleaned as well as being up front about any marks or scuffs on the upholstery so any new ones can be noted.

Also point out brand new decorations down to the date it was done so it becomes clear what they are getting.

Making a note of different odours could also be a good idea, although smells can be subjective and caused by many things a distinct new one will be hard to avoid.

Always back all of this up with as much documentation and images as possible.

When the tenant checks out

This is where conducting a thorough inventory at the start will pay off. As the house is inspected, refer to it constantly, and if you had a hand in making it to start with you should know exactly what to look for.

As before, keep a note of every detail and compare your new document with the old one once you are finished.

Also, even if it looks clear make sure you touch it! Stickiness and pet hairs are often hard to detect but can be costly to remove.

What to do if you think a deposit deduction is needed

If you find yourself in a situation where the property has not been returned in a satisfactory state, you may need to deduct from the deposit.

This process can often cause disputes and conflict between landlord and tenant, so make sure you’re completely sure and have the documentary evidence to back it up.

Clear, concise reasoning as to why the landlord thinks a deduction is vital.

On top of this pointing out exactly where in the tenancy agreement the landlord believes the tenant has breached will be needed.

If the tenant decides to dispute the claim, then it will need to be taken to an adjudicator.

At Student, part of our landlord service is to conduct inventories and property checks on behalf of our landlords. We carry out thorough check in and check out inspections to ensure there is official paperwork, documentation and photographs at the start and end of every tenancy. Whilst it can feel like an uncomfortable process, we understand how vital it is for both landlord and tenant to be clear and consistent when it comes to the condition of a property.

If you own a rental property and would like help and advice on how to manage a successful tenancy, ensuring you meet all the legal requirements and remain up to date on guidance and legislation, please contact our experienced team. We manage 1000 properties and 3000 tenancies in the private and student rental sector and can help you with all aspects of rental property management. Call us on 0161 694 6427 or email

Posted on

Mistoria Estate Agents Expands with new Cheadle branch

Our sister company, Mistoria Estate Agents, is opening its 6th North West based office, this time in the suburbs of Cheadle. The new branch joins the already successful Mistoria Estate Agents outlets in Manchester, Bolton, Liverpool and Salford.

Parent company, The Mistoria Group, specialist in property investment, with a particular interest in student accommodation and HMOs. As a result, the Group’s estate agents are heavily involved in the student lettings market, whilst simultaneously providing traditional residential sales and lettings services. The Cheadle branch will further expand on these core property services by also offering mortgage brokering and conveyancing services. This is made possible by the fact that the new estate agents will share office space with MCC Accountants (also a part of The Mistoria Group) at their Church Road location in the heart of Cheadle’s busy high street.

Cheadle Branch Manager, Dewi Caughter, is keen to get going and build up the Mistoria reputation in the local area . He says, “Cheadle offers a new demographic make-up for Mistoria, but we’re keen to establish ourselves here and grow the Mistoria brand across the wider, more lucrative south Manchester area.

“We will provide a bespoke estate agency service for all pricing levels of the local property market. Our aim is to provide high quality customer service standards and competitive prices.”

The Mistoria Group CEO Mish Liyange comments, “This is an exciting time for The Mistoria Group. We already have five successful branches in the North West and have plans to expand into five more areas over the next five years, with the first being Cheadle. As well as Mistoria Estate Agents, our acclaimed in-house accountancy practice, MCC Accountants have also taken up residence in the new office and we hope the two companies will work together and complement one another to meet the needs of the south Manchester property and business sectors.”

Mistoria Estate Agents Cheadle have two opening offers that they hope will attract sellers and landlords alike. Those wishing to sell their property can enjoy fees of just £999, with no hidden extras. Landlords are being offered a fully managed service for just 8%. Both are hugely competitive offers and both are available for a limited time only.

More information can be found by visiting the website:

Posted on

Landlords: are you prepared for the EICR deadline?

student houses manchester
In July 2020, the Government introduced new Regulations on electrical safety standards in the private rented sector. They require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested at least once every 5 years. Currently, this applies to all properties that were let from 1 July 2020, but from 1 April 2021 it will also apply to pre-existing tenancies. With coronavirus restrictions ongoing, arranging the electrical safety inspection will require extra preparation, so it’s important you begin the work as soon as possible. As a professional letting agent, specialising in student houses Manchester based Student Haus has put together some useful information to help you understand and navigate the process.

The Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR)

The electrical safety inspection must be carried out by a qualified and competent electrician. For help finding one in your area, you can use the Registered Competent Person Electrical single mark and register, a Government-approved tool. From the inspection, you will obtain a report, known as the Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR). This will detail the results and set a date for the next inspection and test. As a landlord, you must supply a copy of this to:

  • the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test
  • a new tenant before they move in
  • any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request for the report
  • the local authority within 7 days of receiving a request.

You should also keep a copy of the report to give the inspector when the next test is due. If the inspection reveals that further investigation or repairs are needed, you must ensure these works are completed within 28 days of receiving the report. You are then required to obtain written confirmation from the electrician stating that repairs have been completed, and supply this to the tenant and local authority within 28 days of completion.

Conducting electrical safety inspections under coronavirus restrictions

The inspection requires an electrician to enter the property to assess all electrical appliances – it cannot be done remotely. With stringent coronavirus restrictions still in place, landlords will need to take additional steps to ensure the inspection runs safely and smoothly.

If you have tenants moving out before the April deadline, you should leave a gap before new tenants move in, so that the inspection can be completed whilst the property is empty. For long-term tenants, you must inform them about the inspection and arrange a time and date that is most suitable for both of you. For example, the inspection could be completed whilst the tenant is out at work, or during a time when they are able to remain in one room for the duration, thus minimising any risk of possible infection. It’s also important to listen to any other concerns the tenant may have about the inspection and consider how they can be addressed.

How we can help with your student houses Manchester

As a professional letting agent, specialising in student houses Manchester based Student Haus understands the property industry regulations in detail. We can help you ensure your property meets these, including preparing for an electrical safety inspection. We specialise in Salford student accommodation but can offer expert help and advice on all forms of property letting. For more information on what we do, contact us on 0161 509 5731 or use the details on our contact page.