Posted on

Keeping your gas appliances safe in your student property!

As a student landlord you have several key responsibilities to ensure your property is safe for your student tenants. One of them is your responsibility to check that the boiler and other gas facilities in your student property are in working order and that there is no risk of a leak of poisonous gases such as carbon monoxide. Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations Act 1998 you are therefore required to carry out annual checks by a safe registered engineer. All registered engineers must carry ID cards with them that identify which appliances they are qualified to work on.


The Gas Safety Regulations 1998 specifically deal with installation, maintenance and use of gas appliances, fittings and flues in domestic and certain commercial premises. They place duties on landlords to ensure that gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants’ use are safe.


The duties generally apply to appliances and flues in relevant premises, that is those occupied for residential purposes under either a license, a tenancy agreement for a set term or a lease as defined in the Regulations.


As a landlord you are required to:

  • Ensure gas fittings and flues are maintained in a safe condition
  • Ensure an Annual Safety Check is carried out on each gas appliance/ flue. Before any new tenancy starts, you must make sure that checks have been carried out within one year before the start of the tenancy date, unless the appliances in the property have been installed less than 12 months in which case they should be checked within 12 months of their installation date
  • Have all installation, maintenance and safety checks carried out by a gas safety registered gas installer
  • Keep a record of each safety check for 2 years
  • Issue a copy of the safety check record to each existing tenant within 28 days of the check being completed, or to any new tenant before they move in.

For further useful tips and information visit

Alternatively, we can take all the hassle away from you and arrange for your annual landlord gas safety certificate (LGSC) to be carried out if you appoint us as your managing agent.

Just e-mail for further information.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *