Posted on

Most common student accommodation problems and how to deal with them

student lets salford

No matter the size and shape of your student digs, your landlord is required by law to ensure they are safe and comfortable to live in.

You’ve probably heard a fair few horror stories about student accommodation, but providing you are renting from a reputable letting agent or student landlord, you should be able to resolve any problems you encounter within a reasonable timeframe.

In this article, we find out more about the most common student accommodation problems and how best to deal with them.

Conflicts with housemates

Living with other students isn’t always plain sailing, especially if you’re not all on the same page.

From stealing food to all-night partying, you may not find out until after you’ve moved in that some of your housemates have annoying or anti-social habits.

It can be beneficial to sit down as a household and set boundaries, expectations, and cleaning rotas together when you first move in. Remember, you’ve got to live with these people, so try to stay calm and keep communication open and respectful.

If one of your housemates is breaching the terms of the tenancy agreement and cannot be reasoned with, then your student landlord or letting agent may be able to intervene.

Damp and mould

Damp and mould can be caused by a variety of structural problems including poor ventilation, condensation, leaks, or a defective damp course.

As well as being unsightly, damp patches and mould can also be hazardous to health and cause damage to personal belongings.

There are several steps you can take while living in student accommodation to minimise the amount of moisture in the air and help to prevent damp problems, these include:

  • Opening windows to allow air to circulate
  • Setting heating to a regular low temperature
  • Avoiding hanging wet washing around the house
  • Using extractor fans
  • Keeping the bathroom door shut and opening the window when showering
  • Keeping doors to the kitchen shut and opening the window when cooking

If you are still having problems with damp or mould, or if you don’t think the problem is being caused by condensation, then you should contact your student landlord.

Your landlord is required by law to carry out repairs to fix damp problems if they are being caused by structural problems or inadequacies.


Moving into accommodation that is infested with bugs or rodents is every student’s worst nightmare.

Any kind of pest infestation is unhygienic and could pose a risk to human health, so should be reported to the student letting agent and landlord as soon as possible. It is your landlord’s responsibility to make sure your student accommodation is safe to live in

Students can help to prevent attracting pests to the property by keeping it hygienic, clean, and tidy, and by avoiding leaving food or rubbish out.


Damage to fixtures, fittings, and furniture in your property can be inconvenient, but more serious damage to a property’s heating, water supply, or structure could negatively impact your comfort, health, and wellbeing.

If anything becomes damaged or broken while you’re living in student accommodation you should report it to your letting agent or student landlord as soon as possible.

Regulations laid out in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 state that it is the landlord who is responsible for organising any repairs to the building’s structure, fixtures, and fittings.

Noisy neighbours

Noisy neighbours are enough to cause anyone a headache, especially if your bedroom is reverberating from next door’s bass all night long the day before your final exam.

Usually, a knock on the door and a calm and respectful conversation is all that is required to get the noise shut down.

However, if the door is shut in your face or you find yourself up against someone unreasonable or unpleasant then you can find more help and advice on the government website about resolving neighbour disputes.


If your accommodation payments are not all-inclusive of bills and unlimited broadband, then you may find budgeting more challenging in today’s economic climate.

The current cost-of-living crisis means bills are constantly rising, putting students at risk of under budgeting for essentials like gas and electric.

If you can, you should always over-budget for bills so that you’re not left short if costs rise.

Be sure to check if you are entitled to any help with paying your energy bills from the government.

You may be able to claim a non-repayable £400 discount under The Energy Bills Support Scheme.

Renting accommodation from a student letting agent like Student Haus serving Salford, Liverpool & Bolton  offers a tenancy agreement that is all-inclusive of bills and broadband can provide students with better financial security.

Posted on

Does your student property stand out?

In recent years there have been significant changes in the student housing market in Manchester with a gradual shift from traditional student areas of south Manchester to the City Centre and surrounding areas.

There are several reasons for this shift, some of them are the changes in student funding as well as the changes to the student Visa process. Another major reason are the growing alternatives of high-end private sector purpose-built student blocks especially because they are in close proximity of the main University campuses.

It is important for you, the traditional student property investor, to recognise this trend and to understand the effects this has on your student property investment.

According to a report by the Manchester City Council, MMU has seen a decline in the numbers of first year students applying to stay in their own managed Halls, and Salford University has also reported a 6% increase in students commuting from home from last year.

This means that the student housing market is increasingly competitive and you need to ensure that your student property stands out. For you as an investor, it is important to understand the students’ search behavior for their housing. What do they look for when choosing their accommodation? When is the right time to put your property on the market so you don’t miss the rush? What is the best price to market your property at? How and where do students look for properties? What other extras do you offer to make your property more competitive?

If you would like an answer to any of these questions or if you are looking for help with your student property then please contact our office on to book in your free “Student Property Appraisal” and a one to one consultancy slot.

Posted on

Demand For Student Accommodation in the UK

With many universities around the UK struggling to provide students with residences, increasing numbers of students are seeking accommodation within the private sector, and sharing a student HMO is a very attractive option for many.

Indeed the depreciation of sterling has made living in the UK an attractive option to many as the cost of living has reduced. For students living on modest budgets, shared student accommodation is a perfect solution for enjoying the benefits of university education at a reasonable cost.

In most university cities, the demand is still very much outstripping the supply when it comes to student housing. Occupancy rates are at higher levels than ever before.

Student Haus offer landlords of student HMO’s a tenant finding and management service. Our sole focus is student tenancy management so we understand the complexities of managing HMO  properties and can offer you a fully tailored service which will help you make the best returns on your student property investment whilst keeping your tenants happy.